Friday, February 6, 2009

So I'm late to the party but at least I showed up...

Okay, in real life I hate being late. HATE it. I even have my watch set for five minutes ahead of the real time so I've always got a cushion in my life. So then why has it taken me so long to join the blogosphere - especially since I'm a writer? Because I'm one of those introvert extrovert people. Part of me loves yakking and meeting people but there's always a part of me that shys away from putting myself 'out there' too. Hence the totally appropriate title of my blog. I have to force myself out of the wordwork.

Part of me knows it's necessary - especially if I want to be a published writer one day. Out there is where you have to be. But that's also why I love being a writer. You can hide behind the words and worlds that you create. Those are the stories that you've invented and no one can really be sure how much is you and how much is that wacky imagination taking over. But no one can really know you. Well, I'm always telling my kids to get out there and try things - don't shy away. How will you ever know if you like something unless you try it? And that's what I told myself six years ago:

How will I ever know if I can get a book published unless I try to do it?

And I'm still trying. I've written some novels I'm really proud of. I have an agent who's trying to sell a couple of them now. I've worked hard, am still working hard, to learn and grow and write better. And I will always keep trying because, honestly, that's the only thing I can do.

So, I'm here. I'm trying the blogger thing. I'm not sure if I'll have much to say and if I do, whether I'll say it well enough. But I'm trying. That's all a human being can do...

Nice to be here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nelsa...good to see you out here in blogger land! Kudos to you! And you're right...you will never sell that book unless you write it in the first place! Good luck!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, it didn't hurt that much, did it? :)

    Welcome to the weirdness!

    ReplyDelete