Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Up. Go See it Now!

Not to be all in your face about it or anything but if you've been delaying going to see this movie, if you've had no interest in this movie, if you don't normally watch animated movies, I'm here to tell you: What?? Are you nuts??? Go. See. This. Movie. Now.

I went on Father's Day with my family. I was emotionally wrung out by the end of the showing. Daughter One was in worse shape than I was. All in a good way, of course. I so wish I'd invested in Pixar Animation when their first movie came out. It's not about how many bazillion dollars they've made (tho that wouldn't hurt). It's that they have not made a wrong mov(ie) yet (ha! Pun). At least as far as I'm concerned anyway. I've loved almost everything they've created. Up is no exception. In fact, it might even edge out Toy Story and The Incredibles or even (gasp!) Finding Nemo for me for most favourite Pixar movie. I'll have to reserve judgement on it when I've seen it a few more times when it comes out on DVD. That's always a sure sign for me - if you can watch a movie as many times as your kids (I only have one under age 10 now so it may not be as often) and not want to hurl after the twentieth viewing you know it’s a classic.

Up is the story of an old man who seems to have lost everything he ever cared about or is about to lose it before he has the adventure of his lifetime. I won't go into plot details because I will inevitably spoil the movie and I want everyone to go see it for themselves. What I do want to say is that what I love about Pixar movies is they're not afraid to incorporate moments of great sadness with great humour. They create such real, true, sympathetic characters out of computer animation. Their scripts are so heartbreakingly sad and funny. I love that. Daughter One and I were sobbing through so many of the scenes you'd have thought it was a funeral. The sadness that the director evoked through one particular sequence that had no dialogue was brilliant. He conveyed the power of human connection and human loss within the span of a minute. Brilliant visual writing. And, in the next moment, you find yourself laughing at what a silly dog is doing. The fine line between crying and laughter is never so evident as in this movie.

So yay to Pixar for creating a movie that is smart, heartfelt, sometimes scary (one little three year old girl was a little overwhelmed by a scary chase sequence that she began sobbing) but ultimately it's a story that is filled with hope and optimism and shows how, even when you think you have nothing or no one to live for, if you open your eyes and heart you'll be surprised at what comes into your life.

Like I said. Go see it.

1 comment:

  1. just think if every movie studio took the time (3 yrs!!!) and consideration in all their products

    ReplyDelete