Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

I know I'm not the first blogger/writer to theme out one of their days to offer up some tidbits on what they have to be thankful for but I think it's about time I started. I've been trying to live life a bit more optimistically for me and after the last few days of worry about my mom's health I think it's a great time to offer up some thanks to the universe because karma has a way of following you and I need to highlight some things and people that just don't get enough credit.

I totally underappreciate my husband. He's a rock when I need him to be and he kept the homefires burning (without burning down the house) while I was gone this week.

The supportive torkidlit MG/YA writers group initiated by the fabulous Claudia Osmond. Even when I'm away I feel their support and, lo and behold, Claudia posted her interview with me this week and I barely had to lift a finger. I'm thrilled to be returning the favour and will be posting my interview with Claudia next Monday once I organize my life after being away for three days! Thank you Claudia and torkidlit!

I'm also thankful to be back in town for Cheryl Rainfield's book launch of SCARS tonight. She's doing a fabulous thing by having a charity affiliation with the all profits for Scars sold tonight going to the Toronto Rape Crisis Center/Multicultural Women Against Rape and Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN). SCARS is about 15-year-old Kendra, a sexual abuse survivor who can't remember who abused her. When things get tough, she cuts herself to cope--but that only hurts her more. With the help of some people she loves, a good therapist, her art, and a friend who might just become her girlfriend, Kendra is able to face her past and to find healing.

Who can't help but be thankful when there's authors like that doing such good things in the world?

I'm also thankful and excited and a little sad to see my oldest daughter officially finish high school today and celebrate with her Prom. She is smart, beautiful and a joy in my life. I've been a lucky Mom to get to share this life with her and I know this is a significant ending and beginning point for the next part of her life. Congratulations, baby. Thank you for being such a fabulous first child.

And on that slightly weepy note, I will end my first Thankful Thursday. You know, they're right when they say to list out the things you're thankful for when you get overwhelmed, feel too tired to cope or are just in a bad mood. Life is good sometimes and we just need to remind ourselves of that once in a while. Hope you're having a thankful Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...it sounds as though you are definitely counting your blessing. Here's hoping they only continue to grow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx so much, GMR. The power of thanks is an amazing thing. I'm also thankful for the great people who post a comment on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. I watched my daughter graduate from 5th grade this year. Next year is middle school. I know it's a bit different, but same feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura: Every milestone is bittersweet. You want to see your children experience everything life has to offer but you want to keep holding their hand to keep them by your side. Enjoy your daughter's next few years, Laura. They are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! Listing the things we are thankful for is a good way to remind us how lucky we really are. I think I'll take a cue from you and make a list for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lisa! I'll make sure and check out your list - other people's thankful list inevitably makes me feel good too!

    ReplyDelete